Comparison of efficacy of liquid nitrogen and vitamin D3 in treatment of warts on hands and feet
Keywords:Cryotherapy, Human Papilloma Virus, Liquid nitrogen, Warts
AbstractObjective To compare the efficacy of intralesional vitamin D3 and cryotherapy in treatment of warts of hands and feet. Methods A total of 100 patients of warts fulfilling the inclusion & exclusion criteria were enrolled in study who presented to Dermatology Department, Lahore General Hospital, Lahore. Patients were divided into two groups (A and B) with random number table leading to 50 patients in each group. Group A patients received liquid nitrogen cryotherapy (-196 ºC) while patients in group B were treated with intralesional vitamin D3 (5mg/ml). Patients in both groups were treated for 3 sessions at every 3 weeks interval. Treatment was labeled as efficacious if there was more than 50% reduction in wart size. Results Mean age of patients was 23.72±14.10 years. 92% patients of group A showed efficacy while it was 84% in group B. Treatment was found to be efficacious in both groups and there was no statistically significant difference between these treatment modalities. Conclusion Cryotherapy and intralesional vitamin D3 both are effective in treating palmoplantar warts.
- Giannaki M, Kakourou T, Theodoridou M,et al. Human papillomavirus (HPV) genotyping of cutaneous warts in Greek children. Pediatr Dermatol. 2013; 30 (6): 730-5.
- J C Sterling, Viral infections. Rook’s text book of dermatology, 9th edition, USA, Blackwell publishing Company, 2016; 25: 114-116.
- Vlahovic TC, Khan MT. The human papilloma virus and its role in plantar warts: A comprehensive review of diagnosis and management. Clin Podiatr Med Surg. 2016; 33 (3) : 337-53
- Witchey DJ, Witchey NB, Roth Kauffman MM. Plantar warts: Epidemiology, Pathophysiology and clinical management. J Am Osteopath Assoc. 2018. 1; 118 (2) : 92-105.
- Bruggink SC, Gussekloo J, Berger MY, et al. Cryotherapy is the most effective treatment for common warts in general practice. Ned. Tijschr Geneeskd. 2011; 155(11): 3134.
- Gamil H, Elgharib I, Nofal A, Abd-Elaziz T. Intralesional immunotherapy of plantar warts: Report of a new antigen combination. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2010; 63: 40–3.
- Priya A, Adil M, Amin SS et al. Intralesional vitamin D3 in recalcitrant palmoplantar & periungual warts: A prospective observational study. Acta Dermatovenereal creat. 2019; 27 (4): 215-224.
- Fathy G, Sharara MA, Khafay AH. Intralesional vitamin D3 versus candida immunotherapy in the treatment of multiple recalcitrant plantar warts: A comparative case control study. Dermatol Ther. 2019; 32 (5):12997.
- Raghukumar S., Ravikumar B. C. , Vinay K. N., Suresh M. R., Aggarwal A., & Yashovardhana D.P. Intralesional vitamin D 3 injection in the treatment of Recalcitrant warts: A Novel Proposition. Journal Cutan Med Surg .2017; 120345
- Khozeimeh F , Jabbari F, Mahboubi Y, et al. Intralesional immunotherapy compared to cryotherapy in the treatment of warts. Int J Dermatol. 2017; 56 (4): 474-478.
- Moscarelli L, Annunziata F, Mjeshtri A, et al. successful treatment of refractory wart with a topical activated vitamin D in a renel transplant recipient. Case Rep Transplant. 2011; 368623.
- Choi MH et al. Comparative study on efficacy of diphencyprone immunotherapy versus cryotherapy in viral warts. Pediatr Dermatol. 2008; 25 (30: 398-9.
- Deepak J, Kaur I, Misri R. Intralesional Vitamin D3 in periungual warts. J Am Acad Dermatol. 2019. 80: 111-2.
- Shaldoum DR et al. Comparative clinical study of the efficacy of intralesional MMR vaccine vs intralesional vitamin D injection in treatment of warts. J cosmet Dermatol. 2020; 10.1111.
- Aktas H, Ergin C, Demir B et al. Intralesional vitamin D injection may be an effective treatment option for arts. Journal Cutan Med Surg. 2016; 118-122.
- Ibrahim IM, Kareem IMA, Mohammed SF, et al. Effectiveness of intralesional vitamin D3 injection in the treatment if common warts: single-blinded placebo-controlled study. Dermatol Ther. 2019; 32 ( 3) 1282
- Wafa M, Abd El-Majid, Essam Eldein A, et al. Intralesional injection of Vitamin D3 versus zinc sulfate 2 % in treatment of plantar warts: a comparative study. J Dermatol Treat. 2019; 29: 1471-73.