A study of clinicoepidemiological and risk behaviour profile of patients with anogenital warts attending an urban STI clinic of Eastern India

Jayanta Kumar Barua, Loknath Ghoshal, Surajit Kumar Biswas, Rakesh Tripathi, Satarupa Banerjee, Debabrata Bandyopadhyay


Objective To determine the demographic, epidemiological features, frequency, clinical characteristics of the patients presenting with genital warts in an urban STD clinic setting. Also, observe the relationship with other sexually transmitted infections including HIV and other co-morbidities.


Methods An institution-based, observational, cross-sectional clinical study was carried over twelve months (from March 2011 to February 2012). About a hundred accepting consecutive patients clinically diagnosed with genital warts were interviewed regarding the demographic features including age, sex, religion, occupation, educational status, marital status and others. Histopathological specimens stained with hematoxylin and eosin were examined when deemed necessary.


Results Out of 93 patients, 71 (76.3%) patients were males and 22 (23.7%) were females. The majority of the patients (66, 71.0%) came from urban areas of Kolkata and its suburbs while the rest (27, 29%) hailed from the rural areas. Modes of sex were genital (84, 90.3%), oral (36, 38.7%), anal (13, 14.0%) and others (like toys, etc., 1, 1.0%). Twenty-seven (29.0%) patients presented with a single wart; 30 (32.3%) had 2-5 warts, 10 (10.75%) patients each had 6-10 and 11-15 warts. Surface changes as secondary infections, bleeding and small necroses were seen in 4 (4.3%) patients.


Conclusion Anogenital warts more commonly occurred in males in third decade of life. Most of patients were married, polygamous, smokers and belonged to lower socio-economic class. Morphologically, classical condylomata acuminata was the most common type. Concurrent other sexually transmitted diseases were rare.




Anogenital wart, epidemiological, sexual

Full Text:

PDF Remote


Thappa DM, Senthilkumar M, Laxmisha C. Anogenital warts- an overview. Indian J Sex Transm Dis. 2004;25:55-66.

Oriel JD. Genital papilloma virus infections. In: Morten RS, Haris JRW, eds. Recent Advances in Sexually Transmitted Diseases. New York: Churchill Livingstone; 1988. P. 127-45.

Usman N. Anogenital warts. In: Sharma, VK. Sexually Transmitted Diseases and AIDS. New Delhi: Viva Books; 2003. P. 273-82.

Abarna Devi S, Vetrichevvel TP, Gajanan A Pise GA, D M Thappa DM. Pattern of sexually transmitted infections in a tertiary care centre at Puducherry. Indian J Dermatol. 2009:54:347-9.

Franceschil S, Doll R, Gallwey J, La Vecchial C, Peto R, Spriggs AI. Genital warts and cervical neoplasia: An epidemiological study. Br J Cancer. 1983;48:621-8.

Kraut AA, Schink T, Schulze-Rath R, Mikolajczyk RT, Garbe E. Incidence of anogenital warts in Germany: a population-based cohort study. BMC Infect Dis. 2010:23:360.

Cook LS, Koutsky LA, Holmes KK. Clinical presentation of genital warts among circumcised and uncircumcised heterosexual men attending an urban STI clinic. Genitourin Med. 1993;69:262-4.

Larke N, Thomas SL, Dos Santos Silva I, Weiss HA. Male circumcision and human papillomavirus infection in men: a systematic review and meta-analysis. J Infect Dis. 2011;204:1375-90.

Shin HR, Franceschi S, Vaccarella S, Roh JW, Ju YH, Oh JK et al. Prevalence and determinants of genital infection with papillomavirus, in female and male university students in Busan, South Korea. J Infect Dis. 2004;190:468-76.

Wen LM, Estcourt CS, Simpson JM, Mindel A. Risk factors for the acquisition of genital warts: are condoms protective? Sex Transm Inf. 1999;75:312-6.

Bairati I, Sherman KJ, McKnight B, Habel LA, Van den Eeden SK, Stergachis A, Daling JR. Diet and genital warts: a case-control study. Sex Transm Dis. 1994;21(3):149-54.

Sanchez DM, Pathela P, Niccolai LM, Schillinger JA. Knowledge of human papillomavirus and anal cancer among men who have sex with men attending a New York City sexually transmitted diseases clinic. Int J STD AIDS. 2012;23(1):41-3.

Koutsky L. Epidemiology of genital human papillomavirus infection. Am J Med. 1997;102:3-8.

Hippeläinen M, Syrjänen S, Hippeläinen M, Koskela H, Pulkkinen J, Saarikoski S et al. Prevalence and risk factors of genital human papillomavirus (HPV) infections in healthy males: a study on Finnish conscripts. Sex Transm Dis.1993;20:321-8.

Lu Y, Wang XL, Wu D, Dong ZB. Clinical features and epidemiological survey of perianal warts in 72 males. Zhonghua Nan Ke Xue. 2006;12:923-6.

Repp KK, Nielson CM, Fu R, Schafer S, Lazcano-Ponce E, Salmerón J, Quiterio M et al. Male human papillomavirus prevalence and association with condom use in Brazil, Mexico, and the United States. J Infect Dis. 2012;205:1287-93.


  • There are currently no refbacks.

ISSN: 1560-9014